"Being raped left me suicidal"

66 дней – 2 5531:18
Megan McKenna gets brutally honest
Опубликовано 10 октября 2018, 15:58
A WOMAN who raised £27,000 to bring a private prosecution against a man she believes raped her claims her case has fallen through because of police "bias" - and reveals she threw a party to celebrate the third anniversary of the attack.

In May 2015, newly-divorced Emily Hunt, 39, called in the police after waking up naked in a £200 a night hotel in Bethnal Green, London, following a leisurely lunch with her dad.

She told Fabulous Digital: “Towards the end of the meal I had a grappa and Dad took a couple of sips too.

“The very next thing I remember is being cold, realising I was naked on a bed and hearing the sound of laughter.

“As I came to, I looked over my shoulder and there was a guy in bed next to me, who I had never seen before in my life. It was 10.30pm, and I had no memory of the last five hours at all.

“It immediately occurred to me that I must have been drugged."

“If I had drunk so much to be completely obliterated and to lose five full hours of my life, without remembering even the embarrassing stuff, I would have been throwing up.

“I woke up feeling weird, feeling fuzzy and out of sorts, which I now know are symptoms of a date rape drug, but I wasn’t nauseous or throwing up.”

Frightened and confused, Emily asked where she was and the man told her the name of the hotel.

She said: “My clothes and my handbag were in a pile on the floor and I gathered them up and went to the bathroom. I rang a friend and he phoned the police.

“I got dressed and tried to calm down and I went back to the room. The guy must have realised in that time that I was not happy and he tried to reassure me, saying, ‘Don’t worry, nothing happened. You just took off your clothes.’

“Then he said he’d like to see me again.”

Knowing the police were on the way, Emily got the man to give his name and phone number, which later turned out to be false.

It was every woman’s worst nightmare.

But what unfolded over the next few hours, days and months made her nightmare even worse.

Let down by the police, whose notes referred to her as “difficult” and “obstructive,” Emily - a data analyst, who has an eight-year-old daughter - claims the investigation was hampered by “lies”, delays and errors which have destroyed her chances of a private prosecution.

The problems, she says, started straight after she left the room and got a call to say the police were downstairs.

Emily, an articulate American with a forthright, businesslike manner, said: “I went down the stairs and collapsed into the arms of a police officer and started hyperventilating. I had never had a panic attack but I had them a lot after that night, for about a year.

“It was horrible, like the whole world was closing in around me.”

An ambulance was called but, Emily says, “things started to go wrong” straight away.

“I was hyperventilating and a male paramedic started shouting at me, telling me to ‘stop carrying on’,” she said.

“I had just woken up naked next to a man I’d never seen before and I was terrified, but he shouted at me and then started force-feeding me chocolate. When you’ve been assaulted that lack of control can be terrifying and he just made it worse.

“I now know the ambulance crew trashed me to the police, saying I was a ‘complainer’ and I was ‘being difficult.’”

Emily – who later discovered her father had also blacked out and didn’t remember flying home to Ireland – was taken to A&E and a female officer interviewed her but, she says, there was bias from the start.

“They asked me for my clothes, but they didn’t give me anything to change into. I now know that they wrote in their notebooks that I was being ‘obstructive’ and I refused to give them my clothes.

“But the reality is they didn’t even offer me a hospital gown to change into. Was I going to go home naked?

“They also wrote that I refused to give a toxicology sample, and I had a witness to that not being true.

"We told the police on the night that I had peed at the hotel but not flushed because my friend told me not to, in case they could test that.

“When they finally did the toxicology on a urine sample in the hospital it was around 1.30am, far too late for them to find GHB taken at 5pm.

“When they were taking my details, I was going in and out of consciousness so my friend helped. In his phone I’m listed as Emily Tinder, which is not how we met but the police officer saw that and said, ‘Oh, you met on Tinder’.

“My friend got this feeling in the pit of his stomach, like ‘Why are you judging?’ Even if we did it doesn’t make any of this OK....


Sun Subscribers get the latest breaking news and videos directly to their feed. SUBSCRIBE NOW and hit the bell to be the first in the know.

3 дня – 20 6943:33
Theresa May - what happens next?