Football: Britain v Germany stalemate 24.05.12

1 515
Published on 25 May 2012, 10:43
The British Army held the Forces World and European Champions, The German Bundeswehr to a stalemate in Aldershot last night.

The match finished goalless but the home side had to play the last half an hour of the game with ten men after star striker Sam Agar was sent off.

This fixture was the first meeting between the sides in the modern era and as expected the German team fresh from their exploits at the recent Armed Forces World Cup started brightly.

The visitors won the world crown beating Brazil in the final and their front man Andreas Gerdes-Vooptus went close to opening his account against the British Army.

However the home side squandered a chance of their own. Unopposed at the far post Sam Lake failed to convert Danny Haley's corner.

Having absorbed early German pressure the British Army began to put the squeeze on the World Champions. Sam Agar was felled just outside the area.

Keith Emmerson's beckamesque free kick dipped but not by enough to break the deadlock.

In a dramatic conclusion to the first half Christen Schienfloog fizzed a shot past Daryl Evans goal.

While at the other end Thomas Burman was forced into a smart save following Agar's powerful effort.

Hopes the hosts had of taking charge of this international clash were dented when Agar saw red for a thoughtless challenge on Max Brechtel.

A man down with half an hour to play things looked ominous for the British Army but the Germans were restricted to firing from distance.

Employing counter attacking football to good effect Paul Douglass worked the keeper with this rasping shot.

The Army could have snatched victory had Calum Wilkinson's effort been on target.and Haley blasted his chance wide.

The Germans had one final push, but it failed as Andy Cottam thwarted Gerdes-Vooptur and the match finished all square.

The season is not quite over for several Army players as they have more international football to look forward to as the Combined Services prepare to play in the Kentish Cup next month.